Paul Sheppard

Default Calculating differences in dates

I want to calculate the difference between todays date and dates in the
future in days, hours and minutes

eg Today 30/06/2005 10:37
Future date 03/07/2005 11:48

Difference 3 days 1 hour 11 minutes

What formula should I use and how should the cells be formatted?

Thanks for any help

--
Paul Sheppard
Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783

greg7468

Hi Paul,
subtract NOW() from the future date

custom format to

dd" days ":hh" hours ":mm" minutes"

There maybe a better way but this will work.

HTH.

--
greg7468

greg7468's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9031
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=383463

Bob Phillips

Paul,

Is this any good?

=(INT(A1-TODAY())-(MOD(A1,1)-MOD(NOW(),1)<0))&" days
"&TEXT(MOD(A1-NOW(),1),"hh:mm:ss")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Paul Sheppard"
wrote in message
news:Paul.Sheppard.1rfp2h_1120125917.5871@excelfor um-nospam.com...

I want to calculate the difference between todays date and dates in the
future in days, hours and minutes

eg Today 30/06/2005 10:37
Future date 03/07/2005 11:48

Difference 3 days 1 hour 11 minutes

What formula should I use and how should the cells be formatted?

Thanks for any help

--
Paul Sheppard
Paul Sheppard's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=383463

Paul Sheppard

Hi Greg

That worked ok for the example I gave, but when I use future dates that
are months away I do not get the result I would expext

eg

Future Date 09/09/2005 08:54
Now 30/06/2005 11:23

Result 10:21:03

The hours and minutes look ok but not the days??????

--
Paul Sheppard
Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=383463

Paul Sheppard

Bob

Thanks, that works fine

Paul

--
Paul Sheppard
Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=383463

Bob Phillips

That is because the dd will only go up to 31, then it cycles back to 1. Been
caught by that myself <vbg

--
HTH

Bob Phillips