Peggy

Default LOOKING FOR A NAME, THEN SUMMING ALL VALUES ASSOCIATED WITH NAME

2 files, one worksheet

In 2 files, Column A, I have 30 names repeated 20 times. Column B has a
number value associated with each name, some cell will be zero. I do not
want to sort this list; it will have budget dollars associated with it.

The worksheet in one of the files has only 30 names on it in Column A. I
need a formula in Column B that looks for all occurrences of "John Doe" and
returns a total value associated with "John Doe".

Can anyone help me?
RagDyer

You can use Sumif().

Sheet1 has the 30 names, repeated 20 times, in Column A.
Column B has the number value.

Sheet2 has just the 30 names in Column A.
Enter this in B1:

=SUMIF(Sheet1!A:A,A1,Sheet1!B:B)
--
HTH,

RD

"Peggy" wrote in message
2 files, one worksheet

In 2 files, Column A, I have 30 names repeated 20 times. Column B has a
number value associated with each name, some cell will be zero. I do not
want to sort this list; it will have budget dollars associated with it.

The worksheet in one of the files has only 30 names on it in Column A. I
need a formula in Column B that looks for all occurrences of "John Doe"

and
returns a total value associated with "John Doe".

Can anyone help me?

RagDyer

I forgot to add that you should copy the formula down Column B.
The formula will look for the name in A1.
As you copy it down, the A1 changes to A2, A3 ... etc.,
Referring to the individual names in each cell of Column A.

If you wish, you could revise the formula to look at *only* a single cell,
in which you could key in specific names that you're looking for.

For example:

=SUMIF(Sheet1!A:A,D1,Sheet1!B:B)

Will return the total for the name you enter into D1.
--
HTH,

RD