m_man

Default getting stock quotes

Hi,

I have been spending a bit of time recently designing a spreadsheet to
monitor my investments in the stock market. In doing this I have come to use
the Office Refference tool a lot for gettting up to date stock quotes. In
doing this it occurred to me that I could automatically update my spreadsheet
using this tool, however when I do "Insert Price" into a cell, it displays
text and numbers, e.g. "AUS:JST 2.07" which obviously doesnt work with
formulas.

Is there a way to get the Refference tool to insert only the "2.07" into a
cell?

Thanks in advance,

-Simon
Max

If the data: "AUS:JST 2.07" is in say col A, from row1 down and the sample
posted is representative of the data structure, then think we could try Data
Text to Columns to leave only the numbers. Try on a spare copy ..

Select col A

Click Data Text to Columns
("Delimited" should be checked)

Click Next
In step2: Check the box for "Space"
(You should see a split line appear in the data preview pane separating the
text part and the numbers part)

Click Next
In step3: Select the 1st col (i.e. the text part: "AUS:JST") in the Data
preview pane, then check the box for "Do not import column (Skip)" under
"Column data format"

Click Finish

Col A should now contain only the numbers: 2.07, etc
--
Rgds
Max