Fernandoalberte

Default Time restricting a file

Guys,

I wonder if someone can please help me.

I have a file which i only want people to be able to use for 30 days
after the 1st time that they open the file. So that on the 31st day
they are restricted from using the file.

I'm pretty sure that this is possible, and that it may require some
code but i'm not exactley sure how to do it.

Do any of you excel guys out there know how to do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fernando

--
Fernandoalberte
Fernandoalberte's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24493

gazornenplat

If you can disable a file (even if it is moved) is that enough? Or do
you want to disable all instances?

E.G. If you had an address book, would it be enough that they can't get
to the data they have typed during the trial, even though they could
start again from scratch? Or do you want them never to ba able to use
the workbook and also any new, blank copies?

Gaz

--
gazornenplat
gazornenplat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24494

Fernandoalberte

Hi there,

What i'd really like to do is create a file that once the trial is over
they will no longer be able to use it again.

However, if this is too difficult to do then locking up the file woudl
be fine.

Thanks for the help

Fernando

--
Fernandoalberte
Fernandoalberte's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24493
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=380883

gazornenplat

As a starting point for a design...

* Create a sheet called "Licence" and password protect it

* Create the app sheets and password protect them

* In the Workbook Open event

...* Check if the registry 'Expired' value is set to true
......If it is
.........put out a message
.........close the worksheet

...* Check if the 'expiry date' cell is blank
......If it is
.........unprotect the sheet
.........set that cell to the expiry date
.........protect the sheet
.........save the file

...* Check if the current date/time is greater than the 'last used'
cell
......If it is
.........set the registry 'Expired' value to true
.........put out a message
.........close the worksheet

...* Unprotect the app worksheets

* In the Workbook BeforeClose event
...* Password protect the app worksheets

Gaz

--
gazornenplat
gazornenplat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24494

[...]