Kevin

Default large numbers not losing the end without formatting column

Hi,
i need to be able to open a .csv file in Excel with large numbers and or
Leading zeros without having to put a ' single quote in or format the column
as text or import using text to columns so that i do not lose the
actual/original data i am passing to Excel - is there anyway to do this or
fool Excel in the .csv file into thinking the number field is a text field -
i have tried inserting a row at the begininng with only text in each column
but Excell still looses leading zeros and chops the ends of the numbers?
thanks
best regards
kevin
Gary's Student

The problem is that Excel thinks it knows what to do because the file is
..csv. If you rename the file to .txt and then open it, Excel will present
the Import Wizard and allow you to define the fields.
--
Gary's Student

"Kevin" wrote:

Hi,
i need to be able to open a .csv file in Excel with large numbers and or
Leading zeros without having to put a ' single quote in or format the column
as text or import using text to columns so that i do not lose the
actual/original data i am passing to Excel - is there anyway to do this or
fool Excel in the .csv file into thinking the number field is a text field -
i have tried inserting a row at the begininng with only text in each column
but Excell still looses leading zeros and chops the ends of the numbers?
thanks
best regards
kevin

Kevin

Thanks Gary,
we do do that but we are trying to automate our processes and would like to
avoid manually having to import it each time - It would be nice if Excel
would just display the source data as is! Is there any extension or anything
else that would fool Excel into thinking that all the data bewteen the ","
comma deliminaters is text without having to insert a ' ?

I tried inserting headings in text characters hoping Excel would read in the
headers and think that this was a text column but no luck there either.

thanks
best regards
kevin

"Kevin" wrote:

Hi,
i need to be able to open a .csv file in Excel with large numbers and or
Leading zeros without having to put a ' single quote in or format the column
as text or import using text to columns so that i do not lose the
actual/original data i am passing to Excel - is there anyway to do this or
fool Excel in the .csv file into thinking the number field is a text field -
i have tried inserting a row at the begininng with only text in each column
but Excell still looses leading zeros and chops the ends of the numbers?
thanks
best regards
kevin

Manga

Hi Kevin/Gray,
Is there any permanent solution to this , which can be automated or is there
any better approach.

Regards
Manga

"Kevin" wrote:

Hi,
i need to be able to open a .csv file in Excel with large numbers and or
Leading zeros without having to put a ' single quote in or format the column
as text or import using text to columns so that i do not lose the
actual/original data i am passing to Excel - is there anyway to do this or
fool Excel in the .csv file into thinking the number field is a text field -
i have tried inserting a row at the begininng with only text in each column
but Excell still looses leading zeros and chops the ends of the numbers?
thanks
best regards
kevin

Kevin

Hi Manga,
it appears there is not a solution to this problem - i have been waiting and
hoping for many years that this problem would be solved with each 'next'
release of Excel or at least have an option to change the default if required
to no avail.

What i do now is either put a space in or a - in the field in the source
data. Which is still unacceptable for someof my customers - but hey there's
nothing else i can do.
good luck and if you find a solution pls let me know - thanks
best regards
kevin