Bennos

Default Displaying the zero value in a cell

Is it possible to display a zero at the front of a series of numbers in a
cell?

Eg. "0123" is displayed as "123". How to display as original "0123"?

I've got the 'zero value' checked in Tools - Options - View. That is only
for a zero value in a cell without any other numbers in that cell.

Thanks in advance!!

Anne Troy

Sure. Just type it with an apostrophe in front, or format the cells. For a
good example, choose Format-Cells, Number tab. Then choose
Special--Zipcode. It shows "00000". So if your numbers are 10-digit account
numbers, put "0000000000"
Hope it helps!
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Bennos" wrote in message
Is it possible to display a zero at the front of a series of numbers in a
cell?

Eg. "0123" is displayed as "123". How to display as original "0123"?

I've got the 'zero value' checked in Tools - Options - View. That is only
for a zero value in a cell without any other numbers in that cell.

Thanks in advance!!

Bennos

Silly question - Which version of Excel have you got? I have 2003 Small
Business Edition, it doesn't give the option for Special - Zipcode in the
Format-Cells - Number Tab options.

news:e2959$42b763bb$466eb880$8806@allthenewsgroups .com...

"Bennos" wrote in message
Is it possible to display a zero at the front of a series of numbers in

cell?

Eg. "0123" is displayed as "123". How to display as original "0123"?

I've got the 'zero value' checked in Tools - Options - View. That is

only
for a zero value in a cell without any other numbers in that cell.

Thanks in advance!!

Earl Kiosterud

Bennos,

One way is to format the cell(s) (row, column, whatever) as text (Format -
Cells - Number tab - Text). You must reenter the numbers. Another is to
precede each with an apostrophe (') as you type it, which also makes it
text. If these will be used mathematically as numbers in formulas, there
may be trouble -- they're text, not numbers. To keep them as numbers, if
all the numbers in the cells are to have e.g.: four digits (0001, 0012,
0123, 1234), then you could format the column for four digits (Format -
Cells - Number tab - Custom - 0000). That method will give you numbers, not
text, which you can use in formulas.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com/