Default How to trace dependents across worksheets?

How can I trace dependents across worksheets?

Suppose I have a cell with the name Foo in Sheet2,
and I reference Foo in Sheet1.

When I go to Sheet2 and select Trace Dependents
under Tools / Formula Auditing), Excel shows an
arrow to an icon that resembles a spreadsheet.
But I have not found a way to expand the icon
into a cell reference or even to identify the
worksheet. Moreover, if I visit each worksheet,
I do not automatically see off-sheet arrows to
those dependent cells.

(Note: Show All is selected under Tools / Options /
View. I am using Excel 2003 rev 11.6355.6360 SP1
with Win XP Pro SP2.)

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to trace dependents across worksheets?

To trace dependents across worksheets in Excel, follow these steps:
  1. Select the cell that contains the dependent formula in Sheet1.
  2. Go to the Formulas tab in the ribbon and click on the "Trace Dependents" button under the "Formula Auditing" section.
  3. Excel will show an arrow pointing to the cell in Sheet2 that the formula is referencing. Click on the arrow to expand it.
  4. If the referenced cell is in a different worksheet, the arrow will lead to an icon that resembles a spreadsheet. Double-click on the icon to go to the referenced worksheet.
  5. Once you are in the referenced worksheet, you can use the "Trace Dependents" button again to see any further dependencies.
  6. Repeat steps 3-5 for any other dependent cells that are in different worksheets.

Note that if you have a lot of dependent cells across multiple worksheets, it may be helpful to use the "Workbook" option under the "Trace Dependents" button. This will show all the dependent cells in the entire workbook, regardless of which worksheet they are in.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
CLR

Approach the leader to the icon and the cursor will turn into an
arrow..........then double-click, a window will pop-up identifying the
source.......(XL2k)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

oups.com...

CLR wrote:
Approach the leader to the icon and the cursor will turn into an
arrow..........then double-click, a window will pop-up identifying
the source.......(XL2k)

Bingo! Thanks. My inclination was to try the above when
putting the cursor on the spreadsheet icon. I had not
thought of double-clicking on the arrow. Thanks again.