sjhealy

Default I can't turn off the password to open a file in excel.

I put a password on a file in excel 2003 to open it. Now I can't turn it off
even when I follow the instructions. By either going into Tools / Options /
Security and deleting there or by clicking on Save As and then clicking on
Tools and then General and deleting there and then saving but everytime I go
back to open the file it still asks me for the password.

Any suggestions?
Dave Peterson

If it's the password prompt that appears when you open the file, you change it
via File|SaveAs|General.

My question is--how did you get rid of the password. Did you select it and then
hit the delete key or did you use the spacebar to wipe it out. (A password
consisting of nothing but spaces is still a password.)

A follow up question if you deleted the password with the delete key (or
backspacing over the existing password)--Did you save it over the existing
workbook or did you save it to a new location (or new name)?

Maybe by accident, you have two copies--one password protected and one without
the password.

--

Dave Peterson