Mary C

Default update links without other worksheet open?

All of a sudden my Excel 2002 will not open a workbook that contains links to
other workbooks unless the other workbook is open. I get a dialog saying
links could not be updated and to edit them.

Any suggestions from anyone on how to change settings so the linked
workbooks do not need to be open to update?

Thanks.

Dave Peterson

It kind of sounds like the linked workbook has moved (or been deleted).

Any chance that it isn't there anymore?

Something to try...

With the workbook closed,
Tools|Options|Edit tab
Check "Ask to update automatic links"

Then file|open your workbook.

You should be prompted to see if the links should be updated.

I created two workbooks--one with a link to the other. I saved both, but then
deleted the workbook that was linked to. (Book1.xls had a link to book2.xls and
I renamed book2.xls to book2222222.xls.)

I changed that setting. When I opened book1.xls, I got the prompt to update
links. I said no. The workbook opened and I could see where the "sending"
workbook was--so I could verify that it was still there (with the correct
worksheet names).

Maybe it'll work for you.

--

Dave Peterson
Mary C

I wish it were that easy! Everything is still in place because it is all our
budgets. As a matter of fact, if the underlying workbook is open, I won't
get the error, but I do get it if the workbook is closed. Hope you have some
other suggestions because this just started happening about a week ago right
out of the blue!

Mary C wrote:

All of a sudden my Excel 2002 will not open a workbook that contains links to
other workbooks unless the other workbook is open. I get a dialog saying
links could not be updated and to edit them.

Any suggestions from anyone on how to change settings so the linked
workbooks do not need to be open to update?

Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

You're positive that the linked workbook is still in the original spot? When
you look at the formula that has the link, it's still correct?

(I don't have another guess. Sorry.)