TRR

Default Multiple columns of data saved in a CSV file appears in a single c

open it, it is appearing differently on the different PCs which are having
the same versions of Excel (Microsoft Excel 2000 9.0.7924 SP-3).

Issue Description:
On one PC, when the saved .csv file is opened, the data in it is spreading a
record record containing some 4 fields across 4 different cells/columns. This
is fine and is what is required for me.

While on the other PC, when the saved .csv file is opened, the entire record
is inserted into a SINGLE CELL/COLUMN containing those 4 values separated by
a comma. But here as well, I would want a record to spread across different
columns/cells.

Hence I would like to know the answers to any of the below questions:
(1) why is there a difference in the appearance while the Excel versions are
exactly the same?
(2) Is there any option/setting in Excel that is influencing this?
(3) Last but not the least, how do I fix it?

Hope you guys have a solution to this. Thanks.
Hank Scorpio

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 04:23:08 -0700, TRR
wrote:

First of all, congrats on a well laid out question. It's nice when
they're that clear.

Second, the first place to look is in Regional and Language options in
the Control Panel of Windows. Select "Customize" on the Regional
Options tab (Win XP Pro; you'd need to find the equivalent in other
editions), and see whether the "List Separator" on the other PC is
something other than a comma.

Odds are it's that setting, but if not, post again with details.

[...]

scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *