steve-o

Default Move or Size Combo Box from forms toolbar With Cells

Hi :

I would like to create a combo box from the forms toolbar and move or size
it with cells so that if the rows or columns containing the box are hidden,
the box will be hidden also. Is there a way to do this in excel?

Thanks
Dave Peterson

If you rightclick on the dropdown from the Forms toolbar, you can choose "format
control".

Then on the properties tab, you'll see that "move and size with cells" isn't
available.

Is there some overwhelming reason that you can't use the Combobox from the
Control toolbox toolbar?

It supports that option.

--

Dave Peterson
steve-o

Thanks for your reply.

When I put in a combo box from the control tools toolbar, I see the box on
the screen, but when I right click on the combo box and click on "Format
Control" I see a window that has tabs for size, protection, properties, and
web. I doesn't look like there is a place to input a range, choose a cell
link, or choose the # of drop down lines.

The reason i've been trying to do this with a forms tool bar is that if I
right click on a forms combo box and go to format control, i get the tabs for
Size, Protection, Properties, Web, and Control. I can go to control and
choose input range, cell link, and drop down lines. Is there a way to do the
same thing (choose input range and cell link) for a control tools combo box?

Thanks again,

Steve-o

steve-o wrote:

Hi :

I would like to create a combo box from the forms toolbar and move or size
it with cells so that if the rows or columns containing the box are hidden,
the box will be hidden also. Is there a way to do this in excel?

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Rightclick on the combobox from the control toolbox toolbar, then click on
properties.

You'll see lots more options that you can change. Two of them are .linkedcell
and .listfillrange. Type in the addresses that you want to use (Sheet1!a1 and
sheet2!A1:A10 for example).

One of the differences is that the linked cell will actually contain the value
of the combobox--not an index into that range.

There's a .style property, too. You have two options--one is
0-fmStyleDropDownCombo which allows the user to type anything into the combobox.

The other option is fmStyleDropDownList which forces the user to match what's in
the dropdown list.

Play around with .matchentry and you may even find you like this combobox better
than the dropdown from the forms toolbar.

======
And just another thought. You may find using Data|Validation an even easier
option to implement.

Debra Dalgleish has some very nice notes if you've never used this feature
befo

steve-o wrote:

Hi :

I would like to create a combo box from the forms toolbar and move or size
it with cells so that if the rows or columns containing the box are hidden,
the box will be hidden also. Is there a way to do this in excel?

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mandy

I need the combo box to adjust with the underlying cell, when I right click
on the combo box and then click on format control and go to properties the
move and size with cell option is not a highlighted. What do I need to do
to make this work?

steve-o wrote:

Hi :

I would like to create a combo box from the forms toolbar and move or size
it with cells so that if the rows or columns containing the box are hidden,
the box will be hidden also. Is there a way to do this in excel?

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

It sounds like you used a dropdown from the Forms toolbar. It doesn't support
"move and size with cells".

If you delete that dropdown and replace it with a combobox from the control
toolbox toolbar, you'll have that option.

steve-o wrote:

Hi :

I would like to create a combo box from the forms toolbar and move or size
it with cells so that if the rows or columns containing the box are hidden,
the box will be hidden also. Is there a way to do this in excel?

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mandy

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

[...]

Thanks this is the information I needed :)