Lisa Secrest

Default rename an excel worksheet

Hi,

I am trying to rename an excel worksheet but I keep getting a message that I
am using incorrect characters or too many spaces in the name, but I am not.
It will not let me continue work in the spreadsheet without correctly
renaming the worksheet. I am stuck. I would just close the program, but
unfortunately, I would loose to much data since I did not do a save since I
opened it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa
paul

why not save as or even save it as it is and rename later.you cant use
certain characters / being one of them
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"Lisa Secrest" wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to rename an excel worksheet but I keep getting a message that I
am using incorrect characters or too many spaces in the name, but I am not.
It will not let me continue work in the spreadsheet without correctly
renaming the worksheet. I am stuck. I would just close the program, but
unfortunately, I would loose to much data since I did not do a save since I
opened it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa

Dave Peterson

Rename the sheet to A (or AA or AAA or AAAA) just to be able to save your work.

Then post back with the name you tried to use.

There's a limit of 31 characters and some characters can't be used in the
name--and there's at least one worksheet name you can't use "History". It's
reserved for Excel in xl97+.

Lisa Secrest wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to rename an excel worksheet but I keep getting a message that I
am using incorrect characters or too many spaces in the name, but I am not.
It will not let me continue work in the spreadsheet without correctly
renaming the worksheet. I am stuck. I would just close the program, but
unfortunately, I would loose to much data since I did not do a save since I
opened it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa

--

Dave Peterson
Lisa Secrest

Thanks for your response, however, it would not let me close out of the
program or rename the file until I renamed the worksheet. Eventually, I was
somehow able to close the program but all work was lost. Once again, I was
reminded of the valuable tip of saving often!!
Thanks again
--
Lisa Secrest

Lisa Secrest wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to rename an excel worksheet but I keep getting a message that I
am using incorrect characters or too many spaces in the name, but I am not.
It will not let me continue work in the spreadsheet without correctly
renaming the worksheet. I am stuck. I would just close the program, but
unfortunately, I would loose to much data since I did not do a save since I
opened it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa

--

Dave Peterson

Lisa Secrest

Paul, thanks for your help. But, u nfortunately, I was not able to save or
close the program until I gave the worksheet a correct name. Eventually, I
was able to close the program. Frustrating, I have renamed worksheets
hundreds of times. I just have never run into this problem before.

Thanks again for taking time to respond.
--
Lisa Secrest