OldOne

Default Notes in Excel

Im putting together a business plan and I need to annotate an Excel
spreadsheet with endnotes. Is there anyway to make a note reference (e.g.
Note 23) print in excel without typing it into a cell? In other words is
there any kind of automated system to be able to insert and renumber notes so
that they can be printed out in a separate document, preferable, Word
document, and refer back to a particular line in the spreadsheet? What Im
looking for is a Word type endnote function.

A second unrelated question, is how do you copy a formula and past it
without changing the cell references. This works when you cut and past, but
Ive found no way to make it work when you copy and past. Thanks.

Alan

To the second question

A second unrelated question, is how do you copy a formula and past it
without changing the cell references. This works when you cut and past, but
I've found no way to make it work when you copy and past. Thanks

Click the cell and highlight the formula in the Formula Bar, right click and
Copy, hit enter then select the new cell, right click and Paste
Regards,
Alan.

"OldOne" wrote in message
I'm putting together a business plan and I need to annotate an Excel
spreadsheet with endnotes. Is there anyway to make a note reference (e.g.
"Note 23") print in excel without typing it into a cell? In other words is
there any kind of automated system to be able to insert and renumber notes
so
that they can be printed out in a separate document, preferable, Word
document, and refer back to a particular line in the spreadsheet? What I'm
looking for is a Word type endnote function.

A second unrelated question, is how do you copy a formula and past it
without changing the cell references. This works when you cut and past,
but
I've found no way to make it work when you copy and past. Thanks.

CLR

Dunno about Notes...........but for your second question you need to use
Absolute References rather than Relative References in the
formulas....................$A$2 instead of just A2, etc.........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"OldOne" wrote in message
I'm putting together a business plan and I need to annotate an Excel
spreadsheet with endnotes. Is there anyway to make a note reference (e.g.
"Note 23") print in excel without typing it into a cell? In other words is
there any kind of automated system to be able to insert and renumber notes

so
that they can be printed out in a separate document, preferable, Word
document, and refer back to a particular line in the spreadsheet? What I'm
looking for is a Word type endnote function.

A second unrelated question, is how do you copy a formula and past it
without changing the cell references. This works when you cut and past,

but
I've found no way to make it work when you copy and past. Thanks.

Piranha

OldOne Wrote:
Im putting together a business plan and I need to annotate an Excel
spreadsheet with endnotes. Is there anyway to make a note reference
(e.g.
Note 23) print in excel without typing it into a cell? In other
words is
there any kind of automated system to be able to insert and renumber
notes so
that they can be printed out in a separate document, preferable, Word
document, and refer back to a particular line in the spreadsheet? What
Im
looking for is a Word type endnote function.

A second unrelated question, is how do you copy a formula and past it
without changing the cell references. This works when you cut and past,
but
Ive found no way to make it work when you copy and past. Thanks.

Hi,
Would Textboxs, Comments, or Hidden Sheets help?
Dave

--
Piranha
Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20435

Jay

?B?T2xkT25l?= wrote:

I(tm)m putting together a business plan and I need to annotate an Excel
spreadsheet with endnotes. Is there anyway to make a note reference
(e.g. Note 23) print in excel without typing it into a cell? In
other words is there any kind of automated system to be able to insert
and renumber notes so that they can be printed out in a separate
document, preferable, Word document, and refer back to a particular
line in the spreadsheet? What I(tm)m looking for is a Word type endnote
function.

This isn't the solution you asked for, but it might help. It's like Word's
bookmarks and fields, rather than endnotes.

Make up a name for each note, like you would a bookmark name in Word.

On a separate worksheet, make a three-column list with:
Column A as the note name.
Column B has "=ROW()" without the quotes.
Column C has the text of the note.

To print the separate sheet of notes, hide column A (or just set the print
area to exclude column A).

When you want a note reference in the business-plan worksheet, use VLOOKUP
to look up the note number (column B of the separate sheet) based on the
note name.

When notes are added, removed, or re-ordered, things ought to get
renumbered appropriately.