jeunecorto

Default unexpected conversion trouble

I wanted to open an Excel file I hadn't been working on for a while, and
Excel couldn't do it.
After some investigations, I found that even if the file still had the
.xls extension, it seemed to be conveted in .doc format (in fact, when
I open it in notepad, I can see at the end some words that look like a
MSWord signature). I don't know how this happened, but I'm really
embarassed beacause i really need the data in this file.
I tried to change the extension to .doc, open the file in Word and then
import in Excel, but I can hardly see part of the file. What's more, it
is a 3-sheets document, and only part of the 1st sheet seem to be
visible.

If someone knows how I could (re)convert the file to a readale excel
document, I would be really grateful.

Christian

--
jeunecorto
jeunecorto's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24016

Peo Sjoblom

There is no way to salvage that file using any other methods than those that
you already tried, the 3D will be gone and only thing that could possible be
saved would be text entries.
What happened is that somebody opened that file using word, then when
exiting was prompted to save the file and unfortunately did so. This is
really idiotic behaviour of MS Office, obviosly it shouldn't be possible to
do this but unfortunately it is.

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom