danielle

Default cell function

Is there a way to have a cell in a spreadsheet be represented as a symbol?

example: if i want cell A1 to show a checkmark or an x when the cell is
checked, how would i do that (if it can be done)?

greatly appreciated
TomHinkle

Not sure I totally get how you're envisioning it to work.

I'm guessing you want to click on the cell at which point it will put an x
in the cell then take it off.

2 ways to do it.

1) (I wouldn't do this) use forms, and put a checkbox over the cell. I've
found the checkboxes are always tough to manage, expecially if people are
inserting rows, resizing cells, etc.

2) Macro time. Each worksheet has a 'selectionChange' event. Use this
event. you'll have to write a conditional (if, or select) to 'trap' the
cells you want to behave like checkboxes. But then just have the code in
that routine verify if there's an X in the cell or not. If not, insert one
(using code) if so, remove it..

HTH

"danielle" wrote:

Is there a way to have a cell in a spreadsheet be represented as a symbol?

example: if i want cell A1 to show a checkmark or an x when the cell is
checked, how would i do that (if it can be done)?

greatly appreciated

Dave Peterson

Saved from an earlier post:

Maybe just give the cells a custom format.

Format the cells by:
selecting them
format|cells|number tab|custom category
In the "type:" box, put this:

alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
keypad.

It should look something like this when you're done.
ü;ü;ü;ü
(umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

And format that range of cells as Wingdings.

Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
mark.

Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:

=if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

You can just see if the cell is empty.

--

Dave Peterson