Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

Default Out of Memory

As a spreadsheet grows, I'm beginning to have occasional "Out of Memory"
problems while doing "Paste" operations. Grumble, grumble....

Digging into the problem a bit, I find the INFO statement tells me that
I have roughly 50MB available to Excel and that most of it is used up.

My question is simply whether there's anything that I can do to increase
that 50MB gross amount before I tinker with how Excel is actually using
it in the spreadsheet?

1) Would it make any difference if I changed from Excel97 to the current
version? Or does the same 50MB limit exist there still?

2) Or is there anything within my XP operating system I can do to make
it provide more space for Excel's use?

3) The hardware has 724MB of RAM and a huge amount of disk space open so
I presume there is nothing with the hardware that can ease the problem?

Thanks...

Bill

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address) wrote:
[...]

--------------

Incidentally, tinkering with the INFO("totmem") statement a bit shows
that I have a total of 49.3MB available to Excel and only 1MB left open.

So then I opened another big spreadsheet. The total memory goes UP to
51MB. I open a third simultaneous spreadsheet and total memory
available to Excel goes up to 63MB. There's still only 1MB free, but
apparently "Total Memory" is a fluid concept somehow.

Bill
Charles Williams

the only number that works is INFO("Memused")
There is a bug in INFO ("Memavail") it always returns the same number, and
INFO("Totmem") always equals INfo("Memused")+info("totmem") so is also
useless.

for more details on Excel memoru usage etc see

http://www.DecisonModels.com/memlimitsc.htm and associated pages

Charles
______________________
Decision Models
FastExcel 2.1 now available
www.DecisionModels.com

Charles Williams wrote:
the only number that works is INFO("Memused")
There is a bug in INFO ("Memavail") it always returns the same number, and
INFO("Totmem") always equals INfo("Memused")+info("totmem") so is also
useless.

for more details on Excel memoru usage etc see

http://www.DecisonModels.com/memlimitsc.htm and associated pages

Charles

------------------------

Thanks Charles -- that explains some things.

It seems a bit slack on Microsoft's part to have such a basic known bug
exist all the way from the '97 version up to 2005. But then I guess
they don't much care what I think.

Charles Williams wrote:
the only number that works is INFO("Memused")
There is a bug in INFO ("Memavail") it always returns the same number, and
INFO("Totmem") always equals INfo("Memused")+info("totmem") so is also
useless.

for more details on Excel memoru usage etc see

http://www.DecisonModels.com/memlimitsc.htm and associated pages

Charles

By the way, to anybody following this, the URL given by Charles above is
apparently mistyped by one letter. I believe it should be:

http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm

Lots of good info there.

Bill