Mr Roy

Default how do i get back deleted worksheets?

I mistakenly deleted 2 important worksheets in microsoft excel and would like
to know if I can get them back. I tried system restore on my computer but
that didn't do anything for me.
Gordon

Mr Roy wrote:
I mistakenly deleted 2 important worksheets in microsoft excel and
would like to know if I can get them back. I tried system restore on
my computer but that didn't do anything for me.

System Restore does *not* restore data, as the dialog box says when you use
it. Your only hope is a backup.

Earl Kiosterud

Roy,

Unfortunately, any sheet operation (Insert, Rename, Delete, etc.) is not
undoable. The delete is totally destructive (you can always manually rename
again, etc.) That's why the message appears when you use Delete. By
"permanently delete," it means you can't undo it, though that's not made
clear at all in the message. Some day in the far future, sitting around
with your grandchildren, you can tell them proudly that Microsoft has fixed
this. It isn't likely to happen before then, I fear.

For future reference, important files can be saved with "version numbers" in
the file name, or something similar. I use My File-1.xls, My File-2.xls,
etc. Don't be afraid to let that number climb. Increment it with any
change in the file you want to. I do this regularly with project files.
You never know. You can always save the latest, working file, to an
unnumbered name, "My File.xls."

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Mr Roy" <Mr wrote in message
I mistakenly deleted 2 important worksheets in microsoft excel and would
like
to know if I can get them back. I tried system restore on my computer but
that didn't do anything for me.

Gord Dibben

Some additional information Roy.

"System Restore" is simply that....it restores the "system" configuration but
does not restore any data files.

It is not a backup feature.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"Mr Roy" <Mr wrote in message
I mistakenly deleted 2 important worksheets in microsoft excel and would
like
to know if I can get them back. I tried system restore on my computer but
that didn't do anything for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Similar Dilemma Solved

Dear Mr. Roy---simply "open" the document you were working on---this will
prompt "do you want to undo the changes you made"----thus you lose the work
you did when you opened it up or last saved it...but at least the entire
sheet is not lost. Best of luck.

"Mr Roy" wrote:

I mistakenly deleted 2 important worksheets in microsoft excel and would like
to know if I can get them back. I tried system restore on my computer but
that didn't do anything for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Obviously you must have already closed the file. If you close a file without
saving, nothing would be lost, but no edits or additional information would
be saved either. Once something is deleted, and the file saved, it's gone.
Always save "versions" or "save as" when working on an important project.