KrisKelly

Default Why can't my new PC (w/MSWorks) open my Excel files?

Why can't my new PC (which has MS Works-spreadsheet) open my Excel files?
Norman Jones

Hi Kris,

MS Works is not Excel.

You will need to purchase Excel or MS Office unless you merely need to read
the spreadsheet, in which case you can download a free MS viewer from:

http://office.microsoft.com/download.../xlviewer.aspx

---
Regards,
Norman

"KrisKelly" wrote in message
Why can't my new PC (which has MS Works-spreadsheet) open my Excel files?

Harlan Grove

"Norman Jones" wrote...
MS Works is not Excel.

You will need to purchase Excel or MS Office unless you merely need to read
the spreadsheet, in which case you can download a free MS viewer from:

Depending on the complexity of the OP's workbooks and the speed of his/her
Internet connection, OP could try using the free OpenOffice,

http://www.openoffice.org

There are several other freeware and shareware spreadsheet programs that can
work with .XLS files, though few handle array formulas or external
references. Gnumeric 1.4 does, but it's in beta on Windows.

Norman Jones

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message

Depending on the complexity of the OP's workbooks and the speed of his/her
Internet connection, OP could try using the free OpenOffice,

http://www.openoffice.org

There are several other freeware and shareware spreadsheet programs that
can
work with .XLS files, though few handle array formulas or external
references. Gnumeric 1.4 does, but it's in beta on Windows.

Hi Harlan,

I could - and should - have given the OpenOffice alternative - Thank you.

Thank you also for the Gnumeric information, although I note from a
response to another recent question that you suggest that waiting until
Gnumeric 1.4's Windows port is more stable.

---
Regards,
Norman