Michael Rekas

Default Excel Progrom Error

Hi there

Happy new year to all.

I often receive the folowing error message in a box titled "Program
Error".

EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will
need to restart the program.

An error log is being created.

The only option is OK which closes Excel. I do not know where the
error log is created.

I am using Office 2000 Service Pack 3 with Windows 2000 Professsional
Service Pack 4.

Can anybody throw some light on this error.

Thanks in anticipation.

Michael

Michael Rekas

No I cannot seem to see any consistency.

Thanks

Michael

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:32:01 -0600, "RWN" wrote:

What are you doing at the time (i.e. is it consistent)?

Dave Peterson

Does this only happen on one workbook or all workbooks?

If it happens on just one, then it sounds like that workbook is corrupted and
may need to be rebuilt.

Does it happen whenever you save or only when you're closing or opening excel?
If it happens when you're closing or closing excel, it could be a corrupted
*.xlb file.

*.xlb (name and location change with versions of windows/excel) is the file that
contains your customized toolbars. One of the things excel does when you're
closing, not just saving, is update this file.

You could close excel and find that file and rename it to see if it helps.

close excel
windows start button|find|*.xlb
rename any you find to *.xlbold
and test it out.

===
You may want to try opening excel in safe mode to see if that changes anything.
close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe
file|Open your workbook
test it out.
===

If that didn't help (or if it's just one workbook), maybe opening the workbook
in OpenOffice and saving there would clean it up enough for excel to accept it.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

If it's just one file and the file is really important, there are commercial
recovery services. I've never used it, but you might want to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com