Metalteck

Default Questions???

I have 2 questions that I would like to see if they can be answered.

I have a worksheet that begins with an item #. An example of an item number
is 432-0980,432-1105. The first 3 digits designate where it belongs. Is
there a way that I can count these item numbers by just the first 3 digits?

My second question, how can I implement this counting of item numbers across
40 workbooks to one Summary Page?
bigwheel

"Metalteck" wrote:

I have 2 questions that I would like to see if they can be answered.

I have a worksheet that begins with an item #. An example of an item number
is 432-0980,432-1105. The first 3 digits designate where it belongs. Is
there a way that I can count these item numbers by just the first 3 digits?

My second question, how can I implement this counting of item numbers across
40 workbooks to one Summary Page?

One possible solution could be to create an extra column into which you put
the formula =LEFT(A1,3) then count the instances of the result in column B
Metalteck

Example of item numbers...432-7801,432-0215

Can I use a countif function to count these numbers only using the first 3
digits?