Ian James

Default Guidelines?

I would like to set odd and even rows in Excel with clear and darker
background colors in order to better read long rows of numbers. I know I
can do this manually by setting background of rows individually.

My first question is whether there is a way to set this automatically for an
entire worksheet?

My second question is how those alternate shadows are called. Do we usually
talk about guidelines, grid lines or something else?

Ragdyer

Check out default formats at:

<Format <AutoFormat
And scroll down to see all your choices, including those shadowed 3D
appearance rows.

This can also be accomplished with Conditional Formatting.

Check out Chip Pearson's site:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm

--
HTH,

RD

"Ian James" wrote in message
.. .
I would like to set odd and even rows in Excel with clear and darker
background colors in order to better read long rows of numbers. I know I
can do this manually by setting background of rows individually.

My first question is whether there is a way to set this automatically for

an
entire worksheet?

My second question is how those alternate shadows are called. Do we

usually
talk about guidelines, grid lines or something else?

Earl Kiosterud

I think that's covered in www.cpearson.com, www.contextures.com, and/or
other Excel web sites. It uses Conditional formatting.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Ian James" wrote in message
.. .
I would like to set odd and even rows in Excel with clear and darker
background colors in order to better read long rows of numbers. I know I
can do this manually by setting background of rows individually.

My first question is whether there is a way to set this automatically for
an entire worksheet?

My second question is how those alternate shadows are called. Do we
usually talk about guidelines, grid lines or something else?

Bernard Liengme

Click on the square at the top left where row and column labels intersect:
this selects all the sheet
Use Format|Conditional Formatting
In left box, select Formula is, and enter this =MOD(ROW(),2)=1, now click
Format button and select a fill colour for odd rows
Click ADD and repeat but use =MOD(ROW(),2)=0 for the second formula and
chose a colour for even rows
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme