Ragdyer

Check out default formats at:

<Format <AutoFormat
And scroll down to see all your choices, including those shadowed 3D
appearance rows.

This can also be accomplished with Conditional Formatting.

Check out Chip Pearson's site:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm

--
HTH,

RD

"Ian James" wrote in message
.. .
I would like to set odd and even rows in Excel with clear and darker
background colors in order to better read long rows of numbers. I know I
can do this manually by setting background of rows individually.

My first question is whether there is a way to set this automatically for

an
entire worksheet?

My second question is how those alternate shadows are called. Do we

usually
talk about guidelines, grid lines or something else?