jools

Default Why can't I save on CD in drive D

I am trying to put all my files on to CD as I am getting new computer, my CD
drive has written Rewritable and Recordable but every time I try to save on
it it states that the folder is marked as Read Only. My file is not read
only and I am trying to save on the compact disc D drive, the CD's are CD-R
therefore suitable-what is wrong?!!
Jan Karel Pieterse

Hi Jools,

I am trying to put all my files on to CD as I am getting new computer, my CD
drive has written Rewritable and Recordable but every time I try to save on
it it states that the folder is marked as Read Only. My file is not read
only and I am trying to save on the compact disc D drive, the CD's are CD-R
therefore suitable-what is wrong?!!

When Excel saves, it first creates a temporary file with a imaginative name.
When done, it renames the file to the proper name. ON a CD-R, this is
impossible.

The very best way to do this is to save to HD, then zip all files into a zip
file and burn that one on the CD. This also avoids the files on the CD to
become read-only (that always happens), because they are inside a zip file.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com

jools

Hi JAn,

Sorry to be a pest but can you tell me how to zip my files, I thought I knew
but have failed!
Thanks

"Jan Karel Pieterse" wrote:

Hi Jools,

[...]

Debra Dalgleish

If you're using Windows XP, click the Start button on the Windows taskbar
Choose 'Help and Support'
In the Search box, type: zip
In the list of topics, click on 'create a zipped compressed folder'
Follow the instructions listed.

jools wrote:
Hi JAn,

Sorry to be a pest but can you tell me how to zip my files, I thought I knew
but have failed!
Thanks

"Jan Karel Pieterse" wrote:

Hi Jools,

[...]