Fred Holmes

Default How to get two instances of Excel

Now that I have dual monitors (forming one logical desktop), I'd sure
love to be able to open a workbook in a second instance of Excel so
that I could display one workbook on the main monitor and the second
workbook on the secondary monitor. Any way to make a workbook
"detachable" or whatever? Even better, detach a worksheet in a
workbook and move it to the secondary monitor?

Excel 2000 running on Windows 2000 with all updates.

If I "upgrade" to XP and/or Office 2003 will that give me the
capability?

Many thanks,

Fred Holmes
Robin Hammond

Fred,

I have two monitors, but don't see why you need two instances of Excel.
Maximise Excel to cover both screens, add 2 workbooks. Window, arrange,
vertical.
Two views of same workbook: add 1 workbook, Window, New Window, Window,
arrange, vertical.
The only downside is that you have your toolbars on the left monitor.
Am I missing something?
Separate instances of Excel are possible, but you'll only be able to open
two workbooks, not two views of the same book.

Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com

"Fred Holmes" wrote in message
Now that I have dual monitors (forming one logical desktop), I'd sure
love to be able to open a workbook in a second instance of Excel so
that I could display one workbook on the main monitor and the second
workbook on the secondary monitor. Any way to make a workbook
"detachable" or whatever? Even better, detach a worksheet in a
workbook and move it to the secondary monitor?

Excel 2000 running on Windows 2000 with all updates.

If I "upgrade" to XP and/or Office 2003 will that give me the
capability?

Many thanks,

Fred Holmes

Earl Kiosterud

Fred,

You can have a second instance of Excel. Start it again (Start - Programs,
etc). It will complain about not having access to Personal.xls, as usual.
Once it's started, un-maximize it, and move it to your second monitor, then
maximize it.

I think Robin's suggestion of using one instance of Excel spread across the
monitors is probably generally better, unless you're testing working with
separate users. You may not be able to maximize it (it may maximize to one
monitor or the other - mine does), but leaving it in a window and manually
adjusted across both monitors works OK. Same for the document windows (the
inner windows, each containing a workbook).

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Fred Holmes" wrote in message
Now that I have dual monitors (forming one logical desktop), I'd sure
love to be able to open a workbook in a second instance of Excel so
that I could display one workbook on the main monitor and the second
workbook on the secondary monitor. Any way to make a workbook
"detachable" or whatever? Even better, detach a worksheet in a
workbook and move it to the secondary monitor?

Excel 2000 running on Windows 2000 with all updates.

If I "upgrade" to XP and/or Office 2003 will that give me the
capability?

Many thanks,

Fred Holmes

Fred Holmes

For physical desktop real estate reasons, my second monitor is not
exactly to the right of the main monitor (It's lower, and canted
forward). Nor is it the same size as the main monitor. This has
worked just fine for me in other applications that will readily open
two instances, or even in MS Office when one document is open in Word
and the second document is open in Excel. I'll try stretching the one
instance across two monitors, but it's going to be weird.

Fred Holmes

On Sat, 21 May 2005 09:12:08 +0800, "Robin Hammond"
wrote:

Fred,

I have two monitors, but don't see why you need two instances of Excel.
Maximise Excel to cover both screens, add 2 workbooks. Window, arrange,
vertical.
Two views of same workbook: add 1 workbook, Window, New Window, Window,
arrange, vertical.
The only downside is that you have your toolbars on the left monitor.
Am I missing something?
Separate instances of Excel are possible, but you'll only be able to open
two workbooks, not two views of the same book.

Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com

.. .