Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Popup to show ongoing activity

Hi All

I'm trying to have a popup show on my excel page while the cell content
is updating from an external source.

I'm using the 'Refresh All' icon to obtain information from the
Internet. While this is happening I'd like a popup to say 'Please Wait -
Refreshing'. It could close by itself once complete.

Can someone advise if this is possible?

Grateful for any advice.

Best Wishes
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The way this would normally work is to create a userform with your message on it.
Then call Thisworkbook.RefreshAll from the UserForm_Activate event.
Then close the userform when the code completes.

The hang-up may be if the userform code doesn't wait for the refresh to complete.
It that happens you will have to determine if there is some flag is available that will tell you the
refresh is complete.
(for instance, does some cell on your worksheet always change at the end of the refresh)
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA .

"Colin Hayes"

wrote in message

Hi All

I'm trying to have a popup show on my excel page while the cell content is updating from an
external source.

I'm using the 'Refresh All' icon to obtain information from the Internet. While this is happening
I'd like a popup to say 'Please Wait - Refreshing'. It could close by itself once complete.

Can someone advise if this is possible?

Grateful for any advice.

Best Wishes

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In article , Jim Cone
writes
The way this would normally work is to create a userform with your message on it.
Then call Thisworkbook.RefreshAll from the UserForm_Activate event.
Then close the userform when the code completes.

The hang-up may be if the userform code doesn't wait for the refresh to complete.
It that happens you will have to determine if there is some flag is available that will
tell you the
refresh is complete.
(for instance, does some cell on your worksheet always change at the end of the
refresh)

Hi Jim

OK Thanks for getting back.

Sounds encouraging. Can you point me in the direction of some code /
advice to do this? I'm not sure that I'm technically able to carry out
what you suggest , but I'll have a go.

BTW Yes , there is a cell which always changes at the end of the refresh
so that would be available to use.

Best Wishes

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Microsoft Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA
author: John Walkenbach
ISBN 0-7654-3263-4
Chapter 12, "Introducing UserForms"
-or-

www.contextures.com/xlVideos05.html
-or-

Do a web search using: "Excel, userform, tutorial"
-or-

ask a specific question
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA .

"Colin Hayes"
wrote in message
In article ,

Jim Cone writes
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Adding to Jim's suggestion...

Excel <20nn Power Programming with VBA
--Working with Userforms
----Advanced Userform Techniques
------Displaying a Progress Indicator

--
Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Also, Amazon has a used edition for sale at 1 cent plus 3.99 shipping.
JBC

"GS"
wrote in message
Adding to Jim's suggestion...

Excel <20nn Power Programming with VBA
--Working with Userforms
----Advanced Userform Techniques
------Displaying a Progress Indicator

--
Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In article , Jim Cone
writes
Also, Amazon has a used edition for sale at 1 cent plus 3.99 shipping.
JBC

HI Guys

OK I'll go and get the book from Amazon. That's probably best.

Best Wishes