Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Blank Lines Question

Hello,

Using Excel 2007.

Wondering why blank lines between data messes up my charting of the data.
I thought that blank lines were always ignored when charts were made,
or, for thaqt matter, any other data manipulation.

But, apparently not.

Would like to understand "why" ?

I had two Columns of data, similar to this:
Wished to have the dates as the X axis, and show the next Column on the
Y axis.

21-Apr 143
26-Apr 147
3-May 144

13-May 135

17-May 143

22-May 127
22-May 123

I have the first, the Date column, formatted as: Date / 14 Mar

I was hoping to graph this data, and have a line connecting "all" the
points.

I do have lines connecting the data with the unique dates of 21 Apr thru
3 May the way one would expect.

But where there are the duplicate dates, it would not plot any
connecting lines.

Playing around some with it, the problem turned out to be the blank
line(s) I had inserted between the data (the data with the same dates).
Pretty much as shown above.

Once the blank lines were removed, it had no problem plotting as
expected, even the data with same dates.

Why aren't blank lines simply ignored ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I believe table charts require their associated table content to be
contiguous. Why are there blank rows in your data? If it's for visual
spacing.., is there some reason why you can't use RowHeight for that
'effect'?

--
Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default From OP: Blank Lines Question

Hi,

Thanks for help.

Yes, it was for visual effect.

Will try row height as you suggest.

Thanks,
Bob
On 6/17/2011 11:02 AM, GS wrote:
I believe table charts require their associated table content to be
contiguous. Why are there blank rows in your data? If it's for visual
spacing.., is there some reason why you can't use RowHeight for that
'effect'?

Junior Member

Blank Lines will create a separation in the Graph and excel will treat them like as different groupings. Therefore Excel will not know that your data is connected.

Steve=True