Vinish

Default Need help formatting cells

Hi,

I have a cell with a date value. The format displayes is in the following
order: 5/16/2005 4:25:32 PM

I need to convert this so that the time does'nt show up. In other words I
just need to see 5/16/2005.

Is there a way I can do this in excel without using VB.

Thanks!!

Vinish

Yeah thats exactly what I did, however int he formula bar the time still
shows up.

Also I need to plot a graph based on dates and due to the fact that the time
comes in, it does'nt work out too well.

"Vinish" wrote in message

I have a cell with a date value. The format displayes is in the following
order: 5/16/2005 4:25:32 PM

I need to convert this so that the time does'nt show up. In other words I
just need to see 5/16/2005.

Is there a way I can do this in excel without using VB.

Thanks!!

Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 20 May 2005 08:40:09 -0700, Vinish
wrote:

Yeah thats exactly what I did, however int he formula bar the time still
shows up.

Also I need to plot a graph based on dates and due to the fact that the time
comes in, it does'nt work out too well.

It sounds like what you want to do is eliminate the time from the cell, as
opposed to having it "not show up" in the cell.

In order to not use VB, you need to truncate the decimal portion of the
date/time entries. If your data is in A1:An, in some unused column, enter the
formula =INT(A1) and copy the formula down to Row n.

Then, either use that column in your graph, or select it, and do a copy / paste
special: values back over the original data.

--ron
bj

What happens when you format it general? If it doesnt change, it is text
in this case try putting 1 in a cell copying that cell. Selecting the Date
cell and paste special multiply.
see if the format changes now.

"Vinish" wrote in message

I have a cell with a date value. The format displayes is in the following
order: 5/16/2005 4:25:32 PM

I need to convert this so that the time does'nt show up. In other words I
just need to see 5/16/2005.

Is there a way I can do this in excel without using VB.

Thanks!!

Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 20 May 2005 11:40:24 -0700, Vinish
wrote:

That did it... thanks very much Ron.

Cheers,
Vinish

You're welcome. Thank you for the feedback.

--ron