Deb22

Default Can I protect cell numbering format ($) but allow editing?

Can I protect a cell's numbering format so that the cell can be edited but
the $ cannot be changed?
Frank Kabel

Hi
no, not possible AFAIK with Excel's protection function.

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
"Deb22" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Can I protect a cell's numbering format so that the cell can be edited but
the $ cannot be changed?

Deb22

Thank you for your answer.

I spent two years in Aschaffenbury, Germany with the U.S. Army in the early
70's. I loved Germany. You have a beautiful country.

Take care,
Debbie

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
no, not possible AFAIK with Excel's protection function.

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany
"Deb22" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Can I protect a cell's numbering format so that the cell can be edited but
the $ cannot be changed?

Dave Peterson

Maybe you could just change the format back to what you want after the change:

If that sounds ok, then rightclick on the worksheet tab that should have this
behavior. Select view code and paste this into the code window.

I used all of column A, but you could limit it to whatever range you want.

Option Explicit

Dim myRng As Range
Dim myFormat As String

myFormat = "_($* #,##0.00_);_($* (#,##0.00);_($* ""-""??_);_(@_)"

Set myRng = Nothing
On Error Resume Next
Set myRng = Intersect(Target, Me.Range("a:a"))
On Error GoTo 0

If myRng Is Nothing Then
Exit Sub
End If

myRng.NumberFormat = myFormat

Deb22 wrote:

Can I protect a cell's numbering format so that the cell can be edited but
the $ cannot be changed?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Deb22" wrote:

Can I protect a cell's numbering format so that the cell can be edited but
the $ cannot be changed?

I had a similar problem -- I could protect a column so the format could not
be changed, but if the user pasted a value from another cell, the formatting
changed.

Microsoft has acknowledged that this is a bug in Excel and I was the first
to report it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

HOw can i protect the format of a column?

I would liek to fix the format of a date column so that user must enter date
in a certain format
THanks

"Sam Hills" wrote:

"Deb22" wrote:

Can I protect a cell's numbering format so that the cell can be edited but
the $ cannot be changed?

I had a similar problem -- I could protect a column so the format could not
be changed, but if the user pasted a value from another cell, the formatting
changed.

Microsoft has acknowledged that this is a bug in Excel and I was the first
to report it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think that you may be confused about what a cell format does. The format
affects only the DISPLAY of a number in a column. It does NOT affect how a
number being inserted is interpreted. The interpretation of dates being
entered is governed by Windows Regional Options (in Control Panel).

Data Validation would allow you to constrain a cell's input value to a
number (not text) or even to a number within in specified range, but it
couldn't stop someone as entering a number as mm/dd/yyyy when you want it
entering as dd/mm/yyyy. You may be better including a text instruction
telling users to insert dates in an appropriate unambiguous format (perhaps
as dd mmm yyyy), and then using data validation to check that a valid number
is the result.
--
David Biddulph