Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default using Excel 2007 student with Excel 2007 commercial

At home I have Excel 2007 student version. My boss has Excel 2007 commercial
version. Can I work at home and transfer files to my boss's computer? My
boss's computer would not open my work. Any ideas and help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You should be able to share files.

How did the boss try to open the file -- by double clicking on it in windows
explorer (or opening from an email) or by starting excel and then using the
equivalent of File|open?

And what happened when the boss tried and failed? Any error/warning messages?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I was doing the work (not the boss), I opened Excel on his computer and
double clicked the file which I transfered with a flash drive. Can't
remember exact wording, but something like......can't find file, check
spelling and wording of document. Was is the way I saved it at home? Thanks
for your help! Very much appreciated.

Suzie762 wrote:

At home I have Excel 2007 student version. My boss has Excel 2007 commercial
version. Can I work at home and transfer files to my boss's computer? My
boss's computer would not open my work. Any ideas and help is appreciated.
Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nope.

Open excel, then hit ctrl-o to open your workbook. Personally, I'd copy that
file from the thumbdrive to the local harddrive (or network drive). I don't
think it's a good idea to work on files directly from removeable storage (but
that's not the problem).

I bet the boss had trouble opening a file on his own pc if it or its path
contains space characters.

Saved from a previous post:

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double
clicking on the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Uncheck "Ignore other applications"
(xl2003 menus)

or
Office Button|Excel Options|Advanced|General|Uncheck "Ignore other applications
that use DDE"
(xl2007)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets some of the windows registry to
excel's factory defaults.

Suzie762 wrote:

At home I have Excel 2007 student version. My boss has Excel 2007 commercial
version. Can I work at home and transfer files to my boss's computer? My
boss's computer would not open my work. Any ideas and help is appreciated.
Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson
.

--

Dave Peterson
Senior Member

Location: Hyderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie762 View Post
At home I have Excel 2007 student version. My boss has Excel 2007 commercial
version. Can I work at home and transfer files to my boss's computer? My
boss's computer would not open my work. Any ideas and help is appreciated.
Thanks!
i guess there might be some pop up or footer display saying "Non Commerical License or student version"?
Thanks
Bala