Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Select Specific Data From Cells For A Chart

I have a spreadsheet that has a row that I want to use as a data range in a
chart. The cells in the row contain three numbers on the left and three
letters on the right. I can select just the three numbers by using
€śLEFT(A1:Z1,3)€ť. How do I use that formula to select just the three numbers
for the data range in the chart?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Note that your formula is incorrect in what you think it does, the LEFT
function cannot reference a range of cells.

To reference the first 3 cells in a row:
=OFFSET(A1,,,,3)

To reference cells C1:E1 would be:
=OFFSET(A1,,2,,3)

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"Dave" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that has a row that I want to use as a data range in a
chart. The cells in the row contain three numbers on the left and three
letters on the right. I can select just the three numbers by using
"LEFT(A1:Z1,3)". How do I use that formula to select just the three
numbers
for the data range in the chart?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well it looks like the LEFT command cant be used for a range of cells. But
what I need to do is basically capture the first three charters in the cells
(numbers) and ignore the last three (text). And use only the numbers for the
data range in the chart.

"Dave" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that has a row that I want to use as a data range in a
chart. The cells in the row contain three numbers on the left and three
letters on the right. I can select just the three numbers by using
"LEFT(A1:Z1,3)". How do I use that formula to select just the three
numbers
for the data range in the chart?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't try to be clever and use the original range in the chart. You're
going to have to use a nearby range to hold the values to be plotted.
Use whatever function you need in this range to extract the numerical
values from the original range. Then plot this new range in the chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.