Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default View Conditional Formats on worksheet?

Is there an easy way to scroll over a worksheet to see what the Conditional
Formatting is for various cells? I know you can go through 'Format' -
'Conditional Formatting', but that can be very laborious. I'm reviewing a
fairly large worksheet where there are errors in the conditional formatting,
but most appear fine. I'd like to be able to scroll over cells and see what
the formatting is. Is this possible? Thanks! -Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Certainly not by hovering the mouse over the cell, but you can set up a
worksheet_change event to bring up the formatting (and maybe set a ceertain
cell to turn this "feature" off), something like this (on the sheet-code):

On Error Resume Next
Dim rg As Range
If Range("A1").Value = "No" Then Exit Sub
Err.Clear
Application.EnableEvents = False
Set rg = Application.Intersect(Target,
Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllFormatConditions))
Application.EnableEvents = True
If Err.Number < 0 Then Exit Sub
If rg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.SendKeys "%E"
Application.Dialogs(xlDialogConditionalFormatting) .Show
End Sub

"Bill E" wrote:

Is there an easy way to scroll over a worksheet to see what the Conditional
Formatting is for various cells? I know you can go through 'Format' -
'Conditional Formatting', but that can be very laborious. I'm reviewing a
fairly large worksheet where there are errors in the conditional formatting,
but most appear fine. I'd like to be able to scroll over cells and see what
the formatting is. Is this possible? Thanks! -Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To degug CF's I find Goto | Special to be invaluable.

On a Sheet Hit F5 | Special
The dialog that comes up will allow you to select all CF's. Do that and then
you can add italicize of such to allow you to see which cells have CF's. You
can also specify which cells have the same CF as the cell youare on which
allows you to see what is using the current CF.

With a little practice you can debug your CF's pretty quick.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Bill E" wrote:

Is there an easy way to scroll over a worksheet to see what the Conditional
Formatting is for various cells? I know you can go through 'Format' -
'Conditional Formatting', but that can be very laborious. I'm reviewing a
fairly large worksheet where there are errors in the conditional formatting,
but most appear fine. I'd like to be able to scroll over cells and see what
the formatting is. Is this possible? Thanks! -Bill

Senior Member

Location: Hyderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Umlas, Excel MVP View Post

"Bill E" wrote:

Is there an easy way to scroll over a worksheet to see what the Conditional
Formatting is for various cells? I know you can go through 'Format' -
'Conditional Formatting', but that can be very laborious. I'm reviewing a
fairly large worksheet where there are errors in the conditional formatting,
but most appear fine. I'd like to be able to scroll over cells and see what
the formatting is. Is this possible? Thanks! -Bill
try this code, all the cells which have conditional formatting turns to bold and font size to 14, you can easily debug them

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Dim i, j As Integer
ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1").Select
For i = 1 To 100
For j = 1 To 100
If Worksheets("sheet1").Cells(i, j).FormatConditions.Count < 0 Then
Worksheets("sheet1").Cells(i, j).Font.Bold = True
Worksheets("sheet1").Cells(i, j).Font.Size = 14

End If
Next j
Next i
End Sub

all the best
Thanks
Bala
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob, Bala and Jim, thanks for your direction! Apparently I had forgotten to
check "Notify me of replies" when I posted my question. I just found your
response a few minutes ago. -Bill