Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Make 2007 macros work in 2003

I made a survey in Excel 2007 with macros that will unhide rows based on the
value of another cell. I saved it first with .xlsm extension, and when a
user opened it in Excel 2003, it was read only. I then saved it with .xls
and the user was never promted to enable macros when they opened it, but,
after some digging, was able to enable macros and use the form.

This survey is going to non-technical people who won't know how to dig
around to enable their macros. It has to be obvious. Is there a way for
someone with Excel 2000 or 2003 to easily open and use this document? I
don't have a way to test it myself in 2003, so I'm just relying on what my
test users in remote places are telling me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the workbook contains macros the users will have to set their security to
medium so's they receive the warning about enabling macros.

Or you buy a digital certificate and sign the workbook.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 12 May 2010 14:58:01 -0700, SoilSaver
wrote:

I made a survey in Excel 2007 with macros that will unhide rows based on the
value of another cell. I saved it first with .xlsm extension, and when a
user opened it in Excel 2003, it was read only. I then saved it with .xls
and the user was never promted to enable macros when they opened it, but,
after some digging, was able to enable macros and use the form.

This survey is going to non-technical people who won't know how to dig
around to enable their macros. It has to be obvious. Is there a way for
someone with Excel 2000 or 2003 to easily open and use this document? I
don't have a way to test it myself in 2003, so I'm just relying on what my
test users in remote places are telling me.

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Dibben View Post

wrote:

I made a survey in Excel 2007 with macros that will unhide rows based on the
value of another cell. I saved it first with .xlsm extension, and when a
user opened it in Excel 2003, it was read only. I then saved it with .xls
and the user was never promted to enable macros when they opened it, but,
after some digging, was able to enable macros and use the form.

This survey is going to non-technical people who won't know how to dig
around to enable their macros. It has to be obvious. Is there a way for
someone with Excel 2000 or 2003 to easily open and use this document? I
don't have a way to test it myself in 2003, so I'm just relying on what my
test users in remote places are telling me.
Buying a Digital certificate is a good idea, you can make that file read-only by doing so, when you put your digital signature in some document then it becomes read only, it is good for the security reasons, but you should have a valid digital certificate for that, the certificate issued by the Microsoft is called the validated, because they are regarded as the authenticity is govern by the Microsoft, if you want to make your own digital signature then you have to get a digital certificate for you, which carries a activation key for the verification.

electronic signature

Last edited by martincrow : May 19th 11 at 07:49 AM