Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default lookup row number

Hi,
can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list.

EG say I have a list of names as below:

Andrew
Mike
Steve
Ian
Paul

I would normally just add a column with the row numbers and then lookup the
row number in the second column but is it possible to do without adding the
extra column by using the row formula someohow?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Michael

Try the below..
=MATCH("Mike",A:A,0)

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"Michael" wrote:

Hi,
can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list.

EG say I have a list of names as below:

Andrew
Mike
Steve
Ian
Paul

I would normally just add a column with the row numbers and then lookup the
row number in the second column but is it possible to do without adding the
extra column by using the row formula someohow?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excellent, thanks

"Jacob Skaria" wrote: