Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lookup for Part of the number

Hi,

I need to lookup for a Loan Number from another sheet. However the problem
is sometimes one digit would be added to the end in the other worksheet. Is
there a way to find match for this digit.For the digits in below list I need
to get the match as true for 12345 and 12346 as there is 123451 and 123462 in
2nd Sheet.

List in 1st Sheet
Loan#
12345
12346
12347

List in 2nd Sheet
Loan#
123451
123462
234728

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=MATCH(A2&"*";Sheet2!A:A;0)

Format both column like text!

--
Regards!
Stefi

€žKiran€ť ezt Ă*rta:

Hi,

I need to lookup for a Loan Number from another sheet. However the problem
is sometimes one digit would be added to the end in the other worksheet. Is
there a way to find match for this digit.For the digits in below list I need
to get the match as true for 12345 and 12346 as there is 123451 and 123462 in
2nd Sheet.

List in 1st Sheet
Loan#
12345
12346
12347

List in 2nd Sheet
Loan#
123451
123462
234728

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your help. I also need to know If there is a extra digit in Sheet1
and one digit less in Sheet 2 can we find the match.

Kiran

"Stefi" wrote:

=MATCH(A2&"*";Sheet2!A:A;0)

Format both column like text!

--
Regards!
Stefi

€žKiran€ť ezt Ă*rta:

Hi,

I need to lookup for a Loan Number from another sheet. However the problem
is sometimes one digit would be added to the end in the other worksheet. Is
there a way to find match for this digit.For the digits in below list I need
to get the match as true for 12345 and 12346 as there is 123451 and 123462 in
2nd Sheet.

List in 1st Sheet
Loan#
12345
12346
12347

List in 2nd Sheet
Loan#
123451
123462
234728

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe you meant this:
=MATCH(LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-1),Sheet2!A:A,0)

--
Regards!
Stefi

€žKiran€ť ezt Ă*rta:

"Stefi" wrote:

=MATCH(A2&"*";Sheet2!A:A;0)

Format both column like text!

--
Regards!
Stefi

€žKiran€ť ezt Ă*rta:

Hi,

I need to lookup for a Loan Number from another sheet. However the problem
is sometimes one digit would be added to the end in the other worksheet. Is
there a way to find match for this digit.For the digits in below list I need
to get the match as true for 12345 and 12346 as there is 123451 and 123462 in
2nd Sheet.

List in 1st Sheet
Loan#
12345