Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to take information from one work sheet to another?

What do you need to do to have Excel look at one workbook and if there is
something in a cell to have it take the cell before it too show the name in
the other workbook? What I need to do is to take a list of names some goes
with one group and others to a different one. But the names are in one list.
So if it looks at the cells to the end of the names and it finds a X then it
will take that name in front of the X to the other worksheet, and followers
that all the way down the list. Can someone give me some ideas where to begin
to make this happen??
Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Yesyes,

One way...
If you have 2 workbooks, the first with the list of names and the 2nd with
the list you want to pull out (those with an "x") you might try this:

Assuming the list of names is in Workbook1 (book1), spreadsheet 1 (sheet1),
column A, and the "x" is in column B, in the 2nd workbook put in, say, column

=if('[book1.xls]Sheet1'!b1="x",'[book1.xls]Sheet1'!a1,"")
Drag it down the same amount as the list on workbook 1.

You can then filter out the spaces.

Let me know if this helps.

Squeaky