Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default double use of Substitution Function

to eliminate spaces from a data validation phrase, I can enter "
=Indirect(substitute(M12," ","")" and find the named range i need
create a List.
But, suppose I need to substitute for 2 characters...space, and comma
(,). How to I write the function to do
that?

Thanks,

Tonso
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Apr 9, 10:37*am, Tonso wrote:
to eliminate spaces from a data validation phrase, I can enter "
=Indirect(substitute(M12," ","")" and find the named range i need
create a List.
But, suppose I need to substitute for 2 characters...space, and comma
(,). How to I write the function to do
that?

Thanks,

Tonso

Nest your functions.

A1 = hello this, is my answer
A2= =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1, " ", ""), ",", "")

HTH,
Reeza
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Apr 9, 1:43*pm, Reeza wrote:
On Apr 9, 10:37*am, Tonso wrote:

to eliminate spaces from a data validation phrase, I can enter "
=Indirect(substitute(M12," ","")" and find the named range i need
create a List.
But, suppose I need to substitute for 2 characters...space, and comma
(,). How to I write the function to do
that?

Thanks,

Tonso

Nest your functions.

A1 = hello this, is my answer
A2= =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1, " ", ""), ",", "")

HTH,
Reeza

Reeza,

Thank you so much for your help!