Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula help--lookup?

I have various items in a spreadsheet. Some of these items are repeated in
various rows, but have a different text description for it. They all have the
same reference number, just a different description. I want to combine all
the descriptions into one cell. I am doing vlookup, but it is only putting in
the first occurance. Is there a way to combine all descriptions into one cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, I like to use COUNTIF to set up a sequential number for each
multiple of the unique reference.

However, your description of your data is a bit vague, so I can't
really recommend a particular formula for you. Can you supply some
details of how your data is laid out and what you want to do with it?

Pete

On Apr 1, 10:01*pm, BeckyB wrote:
I have various items in a spreadsheet. Some of these items are repeated in
various rows, but have a different text description for it. They all have the
same reference number, just a different description. I want to combine all
the descriptions into one cell. I am doing vlookup, but it is only putting in
the first occurance. Is there a way to combine all descriptions into one cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's like this on another sheet within the same file. I am trying to pull it
from Sheet2 into Sheet1.

Reference # Description
123 Pant Set
123 2pc set
123 Shirt & Pants

I want it to appear in a cell like this: Pant Set 2pc set Shirt & Pants.

It really doesn't matter what order they go in. I just want all of them in
one spot.

On Apr 1, 10:01 pm, BeckyB wrote:
I have various items in a spreadsheet. Some of these items are repeated in
various rows, but have a different text description for it. They all have the
same reference number, just a different description. I want to combine all
the descriptions into one cell. I am doing vlookup, but it is only putting in
the first occurance. Is there a way to combine all descriptions into one cell?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for replying. I did try that, but I am looking up a reference # on
another sheet and want all occurances of that reference number's description
to go into one cell on Sheet1.