Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Making Zeros look like no entry

I have a spreadsheet that makes some calculation in a column, based on
multiplying numbers entered in 2 other columns. However, for some of the
rows, there is no "input" data, and so the calculation simply indicates the
answer is zero. This gives me a column with lots of zero's in the cells. I'd
prefer there simply to be a blank cell, whenever the result of the formula is
zero. Is there a way to achieve that?

Thanks much.

ddc
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
you didn't give enough info to write a proper formula so i'll have to make
one up.

=if(A1+B1=0,"",A1+B1)

or if the formala A1+B1 = 0, display nothing, else desplay the formula
results.

Regards
FSt1

"DeeDeeCee" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that makes some calculation in a column, based on
multiplying numbers entered in 2 other columns. However, for some of the
rows, there is no "input" data, and so the calculation simply indicates the
answer is zero. This gives me a column with lots of zero's in the cells. I'd
prefer there simply to be a blank cell, whenever the result of the formula is
zero. Is there a way to achieve that?

Thanks much.

ddc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you prefer to hide ALL zeros throughout the WB just de-select the 'zero
values' in the 'Tools' 'Options' 'Vies" in order to avoid any formula(s)
modification(s).
Micky

"DeeDeeCee" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that makes some calculation in a column, based on
multiplying numbers entered in 2 other columns. However, for some of the
rows, there is no "input" data, and so the calculation simply indicates the
answer is zero. This gives me a column with lots of zero's in the cells. I'd
prefer there simply to be a blank cell, whenever the result of the formula is
zero. Is there a way to achieve that?

Thanks much.

ddc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Custom Format the cells as: General;-General;
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/CustomFormats.htm

Or, Under Excel Options hide zero values.

--
Regards
Dave Hawley
"DeeDeeCee" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that makes some calculation in a column, based on
multiplying numbers entered in 2 other columns. However, for some of the
rows, there is no "input" data, and so the calculation simply indicates
the
answer is zero. This gives me a column with lots of zero's in the cells.
I'd
prefer there simply to be a blank cell, whenever the result of the formula
is
zero. Is there a way to achieve that?

Thanks much.

ddc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another option that I don't think has been mentioned yet:
Use Conditional Formatting on the column to set the font color to the same
color as the cell (usually white) if the value in the cell is zero. This has
the end effect of leaving zero in the cell if you need it for any
calculations such as averaging, but not cluttering up the column with
displayed zeros; and it's a little more precise in affecting only that column
not all worksheets in hiding zeros.