Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Mail merge

Hi ,

I am doing a mail merge, on e for the fields is a weight which displays as
..425. When i do the merge this field displays as .4251111333300000 or
similar.

Cheers
--
Nenagh
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's binary arithmetic for you. If column E is a formula use the ROUND
Fuction Say =ROUND(AVERAGE(B3:B6),3)

If the data is imported use a helper column and Round the value in say, E2.
=ROUND(E2,3) and use this column in the Merge. Alternatively, I seem to
remember that you can format a Word Merge field but I can't remember how it
is done. You should get an answer in the Word forums.

HTH
Peter

"Nenagh" wrote:

Hi ,

I am doing a mail merge, on e for the fields is a weight which displays as
.425. When i do the merge this field displays as .4251111333300000 or
similar.

Cheers
--
Nenagh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

if you're using a cell reference, you can try range("A1").text instead of
range("A1").value

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"Nenagh" wrote in message
Hi ,

I am doing a mail merge, on e for the fields is a weight which displays as
.425. When i do the merge this field displays as .4251111333300000 or
similar.

Cheers
--
Nenagh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rounding won't necessarily resolve the issue for a mailmerge.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Nenagh" wrote:

Hi ,

I am doing a mail merge, on e for the fields is a weight which displays as
.425. When i do the merge this field displays as .4251111333300000 or
similar.

Cheers
--
Nenagh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Nenagh,

To control number & currency formatting in Word, add a numeric picture switch to the mergefield. To do this:
.. select the field;
.. press Shift-F9 to reveal the field coding. It should look something like {MERGEFIELD MyData};
.. edit the field so that you get {MERGEFIELD MyData \# $,0.00} (or whatever other numeric format you prefer - see below);
.. position the cursor anywhere in this field and press F9 to update it;
.. run your mailmerge.

Note: The '\# $,0.00' in the field is referred to as a numeric picture switch. Other possibilities include:
.. \# 0 for rounded whole numbers
.. \# ,0 for rounded whole numbers with a thousands separator
.. \# ,0.00 for numbers accurate to two decimal places, with a thousands separator
.. \# $,0 for rounded whole dollars with a thousands separator
.. \# "$,0.00;($,0.00);'-'" for currency, with brackets around negative numbers and a hyphen for 0 values

The precision of the displayed value is controlled by the '0.00'. You can use anything from '0' to '0.000000000000000'.

If you use a final ';' in the formatting switch with nothing following, (eg \# "$,0.00;($,0.00);") zero values will be suppressed.
Note that this suppresses 0s resulting from empty fields and from fields containing 0s.

--
Cheers
macropod