Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default =if() statement -- test for any text in cell

Hi,

I'm trying to convert the following statement . . . =if(A1=______ , "+", "")

to . . . a search for any text, that might happen to be in cell A1.

I don't know what the best option is for filling in the blank after A1=

Thanks So much hor helping me if possible,

Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could reverse your argument to

=IF(A1="","","+")

It will depend on whether you expect there to be anything else in the cell.
It won't work if there is a number.

There will be a way - I just ain't got it yet

--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"Jim D." wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to convert the following statement . . . =if(A1=______ , "+", "")

to . . . a search for any text, that might happen to be in cell A1.

I don't know what the best option is for filling in the blank after A1=

Thanks So much hor helping me if possible,

Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you are looking specifically for text, you can use the istext function,
as in:
=if(istext(a1),"+","")

Regards,
Fred

"Jim D." wrote in message

I'm trying to convert the following statement . . . =if(A1=______ , "+",
"")

to . . . a search for any text, that might happen to be in cell A1.

I don't know what the best option is for filling in the blank after A1=

Thanks So much hor helping me if possible,

Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Fred

That's what I was after. I was trying to put IF and ISTEXT together but
not in the correct manner but the not so sophisticated answer I gave appears
to have been sufficient for Jim's purpose.

I much prefer yours for being more succinct.

--

"Jim D." wrote in message

I'm trying to convert the following statement . . . =if(A1=______ , "+",
"")

to . . . a search for any text, that might happen to be in cell A1.

I don't know what the best option is for filling in the blank after A1=

Thanks So much hor helping me if possible,

Jim

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Guys !!

I had tried to get istext to work, but I'm not that great at combining the
functions, I was mistakingly placing the = before istext . . . =if(=istext

I loved the reverse the argument advice. That actually ended up solving
another issue I didn't even know I had.

Both comments were Great!

Thanks so much,

Jim