Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I test the text content of a cell

I wish to create a logical test - an IF statement that tests whether a cell
contains H, M or L, and output the result as a number.
I cannot get the IF statement to recognise text as true or false - my Excel
2007 gives an error when I try to do something like IF(E9=H ....) is there a
way to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(E9="H"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:43:01 -0700, catefaulkes
wrote:

I wish to create a logical test - an IF statement that tests whether a cell
contains H, M or L, and output the result as a number.
I cannot get the IF statement to recognise text as true or false - my Excel
2007 gives an error when I try to do something like IF(E9=H ....) is there a
way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You don't say if you want a different number for each of the text values or
the same number so we'll start with the same number

=IF(OR(A1="H",A1="M",A1="L"),99999,"")

--
Mike

question.

"catefaulkes" wrote:

I wish to create a logical test - an IF statement that tests whether a cell
contains H, M or L, and output the result as a number.
I cannot get the IF statement to recognise text as true or false - my Excel
2007 gives an error when I try to do something like IF(E9=H ....) is there a
way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi catefaulkes,

Yet another approach:
=(E9="H")*1+(E9="M")*2+(E9="L")*3
Replace the 1,2,3 with whatever values you require. If no match occurs, 0 is returned.

--
Cheers
macropod