Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MGD MGD is offline

Default same numer/character at beginning of cells in row

I have to make a worksheet of products. I can copy the part numbers but need
to have all the part numbers preceded by "2M" no quotation marks. example:
starting number looks like this "el000c" need to have it look like this
"3Bel000c".
The information is being copied from several other sheets via cut and paste.
Is it possible to paste the "el000c" number with the 3B already there and
staying after pasting several cells at once?

Thanks in advance regardless of the answer.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you want to precede with "2M" or "3B"? Or is it dependent on the data?

You cannot do this with cut and paste. The normal solution is to use a
formula like:
="2M"&A1

If the cell is from another sheet, the formula would look like:
="2M"&Sheet2!A1

If you want to create a cell with the first two characters of one cell, plus
another in a different sheet, it looks like this:
=left(a1,2)&Sheet2!A1

Regards,
Fred

"MGD" wrote in message
I have to make a worksheet of products. I can copy the part numbers but
need
to have all the part numbers preceded by "2M" no quotation marks. example:
starting number looks like this "el000c" need to have it look like this
"3Bel000c".
The information is being copied from several other sheets via cut and
paste.
Is it possible to paste the "el000c" number with the 3B already there and
staying after pasting several cells at once?

Thanks in advance regardless of the answer.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
not with copy and paste. that over writes whatever is in the cell. but you
could concatenate all of the info into one cell
a2 = 3B
b2 = e1000c
C2= more

formula in D2 .... =A2&B2&C2
results in D2 = 3Be1000cmore

the ampersand (&) is the concatenating character.
once concatenated, you could copy your formulas and paste special values to
turn them into hard data. delete all the segments.

Regards
FSt1