Troy Emery

Default Any tips to reduce excel workbook size?

I've a workbook approaching the 10Mb mark, which is causing speed & therefore
usability issues over our network. It consists mainly of links & formulae (I
have already deleted all the macros). Has anyone got any tips or ideas on
how to reduce the size of the file?
bj

How many of the calculations are dynamic? could you use one dynamic program
to do any calculations and a second for data transmittal with only those
calcs which absolutely have to be done over the network.

"Troy Emery" wrote:

I've a workbook approaching the 10Mb mark, which is causing speed & therefore
usability issues over our network. It consists mainly of links & formulae (I
have already deleted all the macros). Has anyone got any tips or ideas on
how to reduce the size of the file?

Troy

I've got 4 sheets with feeds from a db (via network), containing 67k+ links,
and 6 sheets with over 10k cells with formula that mostly link to the first 4
sheets. We plan to have a lot of these calcs on the network eventually. At
present however, it seems that the formula pages are taking up most of the
space.

"Troy Emery" wrote:

I've a workbook approaching the 10Mb mark, which is causing speed & therefore
usability issues over our network. It consists mainly of links & formulae (I
have already deleted all the macros). Has anyone got any tips or ideas on
how to reduce the size of the file?

bj

I would recommend maybe going to several books. whenever a book has more
than 65,536 "Dependancies" (Possible calculations, lookup tables etc.) it
goes into full recalc, not just affected cells for any change in any cell.
Several books referncing each other might (?) be much faster with one book
with all of the things you mentioned.

"Troy Emery" wrote:

I've a workbook approaching the 10Mb mark, which is causing speed & therefore
usability issues over our network. It consists mainly of links & formulae (I
have already deleted all the macros). Has anyone got any tips or ideas on
how to reduce the size of the file?

Troy

Thanks for that BJ. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the data collected &
the type of reporting we are using it for, we need to retain within the same
file (I may be able to split between two, although not ideal - and I end up
with 2 files - one just under 4Mb, & the other approaching 6! - still v
unwieldy)

"Troy Emery" wrote:

I've a workbook approaching the 10Mb mark, which is causing speed & therefore
usability issues over our network. It consists mainly of links & formulae (I
have already deleted all the macros). Has anyone got any tips or ideas on
how to reduce the size of the file?

bj

the only other Thing I can think of is to set the calculation to manual and
when possable just calculate current sheet. With as many links as you have,
the calculate current sheet only, doesn't sound practical.