Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Where is the Data Import Excel button in Excel 2007

Hello All,
In Excel 2003 I used to use DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA - GET DATA and a
dialogue box would start and I could import another Excel file (well table in
the file) into the file I have open
I cannot see this feature in Excel 2007 (I can see IMPORT FROM ACCESS,
IMPORT TEXT)
Anyone know where it is?
Thanks for any suggestions

Joe L
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This one almost makes sense:

[Data] tab, first group "Get External Data", has several choices:
From Access
From Web
From Text
and a pull-down list to choose from.

"Joe L" wrote:

Hello All,
In Excel 2003 I used to use DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA - GET DATA and a
dialogue box would start and I could import another Excel file (well table in
the file) into the file I have open
I cannot see this feature in Excel 2007 (I can see IMPORT FROM ACCESS,
IMPORT TEXT)
Anyone know where it is?
Thanks for any suggestions

Joe L

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Data Tab I see Get External Data section.

From Access, Web, Text, Other Sources and Existing Connections.

To import a table from another Excel file click on Existing Connections.

You will most likely have to browse to the workbook.table and OK

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:24:01 -0800, Joe L
wrote:

Hello All,
In Excel 2003 I used to use DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA - GET DATA and a
dialogue box would start and I could import another Excel file (well table in
the file) into the file I have open
I cannot see this feature in Excel 2007 (I can see IMPORT FROM ACCESS,
IMPORT TEXT)
Anyone know where it is?
Thanks for any suggestions

Joe L

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thanks I do see a drop down list which shows: SQL Server, Analysis, XML data,
Data connection wizard & MS Query
But NO from Excel

Re your comments "This one almost makes sense" do you mean my subject line
and/or content is not clear & if so be so kind as to let me know how more
clear a subject line or content question could be stated

Tx
Joe
--

"JLatham" wrote:

This one almost makes sense:

[Data] tab, first group "Get External Data", has several choices:
From Access
From Web
From Text

"Joe L" wrote:

Hello All,
In Excel 2003 I used to use DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA - GET DATA and a
dialogue box would start and I could import another Excel file (well table in
the file) into the file I have open
I cannot see this feature in Excel 2007 (I can see IMPORT FROM ACCESS,
IMPORT TEXT)
Anyone know where it is?
Thanks for any suggestions

Joe L

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I believe that JLatham meant that the Excel location of the drop down
"almost" made sense, as opposed to some of the other Excel locations of
choices. If I'm wrong pls correct

"JLatham" wrote:

This one almost makes sense:

[Data] tab, first group "Get External Data", has several choices:
From Access
From Web
From Text

"Joe L" wrote:

Hello All,
In Excel 2003 I used to use DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA - GET DATA and a
dialogue box would start and I could import another Excel file (well table in
the file) into the file I have open
I cannot see this feature in Excel 2007 (I can see IMPORT FROM ACCESS,
IMPORT TEXT)
Anyone know where it is?
Thanks for any suggestions

Joe L

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Gord yes this works (but a strange place why is it existing in wonder)
well in any case it worked
re my other comment I am new to this and see many poorly phrases questions
(if you look for help can u not spent 5 minutes phrasing the question) so
sorry if I ruffled any feathers as I though the comment was referring to my
question
Joe

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

On Data Tab I see Get External Data section.

From Access, Web, Text, Other Sources and Existing Connections.

wrote:

Hello All,
In Excel 2003 I used to use DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA - GET DATA and a
dialogue box would start and I could import another Excel file (well table in
the file) into the file I have open
I cannot see this feature in Excel 2007 (I can see IMPORT FROM ACCESS,
IMPORT TEXT)
Anyone know where it is?
Thanks for any suggestions

Joe L

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is what I meant by "almost makes sense" - at least data import is
located on the data tab. Sorry for creating the confusion earlier.
Sometimes things make almost no sense, such as having worksheet protection
under Format -- Cells.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

On Data Tab I see Get External Data section.

From Access, Web, Text, Other Sources and Existing Connections.