Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default selecting records

Hi

I have a database with over 200 records containing several names with
various times taken recorded against each record.
I want to be able to sort, then select the best perfroming (fastest) and
compile into a report (by name) preferably via Macro.

I can do this manually but it will need doing on a month to month basis so
want to automate, how canI get excel to select the fastest times from a range
and report in another worksheet
--
thanks
Roy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You don't give enough detail but if you want the n smallest(fastest) times
from a ranges of times then assuming the data are in A1 - A20 put this in a
cell and drag down. It will return the fastes then the second fastest etc.

=SMALL($A$1:$A$20,ROW(A1))
--
Mike

question.

"Roy Gudgeon" wrote:

Hi

I have a database with over 200 records containing several names with
various times taken recorded against each record.
I want to be able to sort, then select the best perfroming (fastest) and
compile into a report (by name) preferably via Macro.

I can do this manually but it will need doing on a month to month basis so
want to automate, how canI get excel to select the fastest times from a range
and report in another worksheet
--
thanks
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mike

thanks for reply, sorry for confusion I 'll try to explain more what I need.

I have a database of swimmers times. this contains various names, various
strokes over various distances, each with a recorded time. I would like to
select by swimmers the best times swum for each distance and each stroke.
This would create a personal best times file. I can do this manually by
filtering and then copying and pasting the individual records. However it is
a long job. Each swimmer has 4 strokes (minimum some have 5) over maybe 4
different distances. In my database I have 70+ swimmers ! I know a macro
would speed this up but do not know how to select the best times for copying
& pasting for each swimmer/stroke after i have filtered/sorted the database.

I know Access is probably a better option but, pardon the pun, do not have
access to a copy.

Can this be done in Excel ?
Does my expanation make sense ?

thanks