Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Vic Vic is offline

Default Count Highlited Cells

What is the formula to count Red highlighted cells in the range F2 thru S412?
I also need formulas to count separately Yellow and Sky Blue cells in the
same range.
Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel doesn't do this kind of thing very well.

But if the cells are highlighted because of formatting (not conditional
formatting), you could use the UDFs at Chip Pearson's site:

http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/colors.aspx
Look for the "CountColor" function.

Recently, I was reading in a different forum (and I can't remember who to
attribute this to): Color is not data.

If you can use another cell for each cell with some sort of indicator of color,
you'll find that it's much easier to count.

=countif(x9:z99,"yellow")
will be lots easier to implement.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Vic,

This has been answered many different ways in this discussion group. If you
search for the expression Count Shaded Cells you can find many posts on this.
There is no built in function in Excel for this. you can get into user
defined functions and VBA and it can get pretty hairy.

This one sums up the situation pretty well.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...1-31a05aa735b9

If there is a reason for the shading use a function like COUNTIF based on
the reasoning.

--
If this helps, please remember to click yes.

"Vic" wrote:

What is the formula to count Red highlighted cells in the range F2 thru S412?
I also need formulas to count separately Yellow and Sky Blue cells in the
same range.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Color is not data.", such a simple mantra yet so true. This may be best
thing I have ever heard on this subject. It explains why anything involving
trying to analyze based on color is so convoluted. This one definately earns
a place in the Excel instruction Hall of Fame.

--

.