Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DA DA is offline

Default VLOOKUP TABLE ERROR

Hello
I keep getting an error when using Vlookup table formula. What I am doing
wrong?
Thanks
=vlookup(c709,C712:d1154,4)
c709 is the name to look up (Name of the employee)
C712:D1154 is the range
4 is the number of Column where the value to be found is (it is an employee #)
Lookup table is in the same worksheet.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want an exact match, then you'll want that 4th parameter to be False (or
0).

And if you want to bring back the 4th column in that lookup range, make sure you
have 4 columns:

=vlookup(c709,c712:f1154,4,false)

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
and
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your lookup column index is 4, but your data range only has two columns (C
and D). Maybe your lookup range should be C712:F1154 or your lookup column
index should be 2? A value of 2 would correspond to column D, since it is
the second column in the data range.

HTH,

Eric

"da" wrote:

Hello
I keep getting an error when using Vlookup table formula. What I am doing
wrong?
Thanks
=vlookup(c709,C712:d1154,4)
c709 is the name to look up (Name of the employee)
C712:D1154 is the range
4 is the number of Column where the value to be found is (it is an employee #)
Lookup table is in the same worksheet.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DA DA is offline

Thank you
I changed the look up column to 2, and still get the same errir.

"da" wrote:

Hello
I keep getting an error when using Vlookup table formula. What I am doing
wrong?
Thanks
=vlookup(c709,C712:d1154,4)
c709 is the name to look up (Name of the employee)
C712:D1154 is the range
4 is the number of Column where the value to be found is (it is an employee #)
Lookup table is in the same worksheet.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DA DA is offline

I am sorry, but the value in C709 does exist. I know for sure it is there
anyway, I found out the correct formula.
My only prob is I want to type just the Last name and First Initial, instead
of full last and first name, which is in my lookup table. Can it be done with
just last name and first initial?
thank you