Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DA DA is offline

Default Vlookup table error

Whyn do I get NA error when I type the following formula.

=VLOOKUP(B5,SS!$A$2:$C$170,2)
SS is the worksheet
A2 has last name
C170 has personal ID #

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try instead:

=VLOOKUP(B5,SS!$A$2:$C$170,2,FALSE)

to find exact match in an unsorted range...

if you still get the #N/A error, then Vlookup has not found an exact
match to B5 in SS!A2:A170...

If you think there is a match, check for spelling, extra spaces, format
(number,text), etc... It has to be exact.

--
NBVC

Where there is a will there are many ways.
NBVC's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=74
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=109441

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the data in Column A is sorted use
=VLOOKUP(B5,SS!$A$2:$C$170,2,FALSE)

If this columns is not sorted then try
=INDEX(SS!$A$2:$C$170,MATCH(B5,SS!$A$2:$A$170,0),2 )

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"da" wrote:

Whyn do I get NA error when I type the following formula.

=VLOOKUP(B5,SS!$A$2:$C$170,2)
SS is the worksheet
A2 has last name
C170 has personal ID #

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"da" wrote:

Whyn do I get NA error when I type the following formula.

=VLOOKUP(B5,SS!$A$2:$C$170,2)
SS is the worksheet
A2 has last name
C170 has personal ID #

Thanks

Why do you need FALSE in the Vlookup if the column is sorted?