Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default default pivot tabel from count to sum

Everytime I create a pivot table, it defaults to Count. I don't use count.
I always use sum. Can this be changed somehow?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

EXCEL 2007

Pivot Table Data Crunching for Microsoft Office EXCEL 2007 by Jelen /
Alexander page 292 states:-

€œMY PIVOT TABLE ALWAYS USES COUNT INSTEAD OF SUM

You have a column in your data source that contains numbers.

Furthermore, you have explicitly formatted that column to be a number field.

Nevertheless, each time you try to add it to your Pivot Table EXCEL
automatically tries to use Count on the field instead of Sum.

This leaves you manually changing the calculation method to Sum.

SOLUTION

If there are any text values in a source column EXCEL automatically applies
Count to the data field for that column. Similarly even one blank cell causes
EXCEL to apply Count.

It is likely that in your source column you have either a text value or a
blank.

To alleviate this problem simply remove both text and blank values from the
source column and refresh the Pivot Table.€

Thanks.