Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I stop cell contents from spilling into the next cell?

I'm working with a spreadsheet and I want to fix the column width more narrow
than my cell contents. If the next column is blank, i do NOT want extra
characters to appear. I don't want them truncated, i just want to restrict
to a set width what I see in that column.

Does anyone know how to do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi infofam,

You could:
1. Format the cell to wrap text, then fix the line height so that anything over one line won't show; or
2. insert a space character into the adjacent cell.

--
Cheers
macropod

"infofam" wrote in message ...
I'm working with a spreadsheet and I want to fix the column width more narrow
than my cell contents. If the next column is blank, i do NOT want extra
characters to appear. I don't want them truncated, i just want to restrict
to a set width what I see in that column.

Does anyone know how to do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Format the cells to Wrap Text.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:15:01 -0800, infofam
wrote:

I'm working with a spreadsheet and I want to fix the column width more narrow
than my cell contents. If the next column is blank, i do NOT want extra
characters to appear. I don't want them truncated, i just want to restrict
to a set width what I see in that column.

Does anyone know how to do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Format - cell format - alignment - wrap text
This will however have the effect of increasing the height of the row.
--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student